Monday, September 11, 2006

Brokeback Mountain: American society and changing genres.

I chose Brokeback Mountain as a good review because it has both negative and positive reviews. This film also influenced a variety of people both socially and politically in the U.S. from all walks of society. The topic is "in your face" crucial in both American politics and in modern American popular genres. The box office made $82,970,165 on this movie. You might also want to pay attention to the multiple genres it was classified into, positioned along the side of the webpage in yellow. This link I have provided has a page full of various reviews from very credible sources, to include nation wide news papers, and has a movie trailer, posters, and photos you can all check out.

I no longer know if I could still use this movie for my review project, but I felt this was a perfect movie with some really excellent reviews. I like these reviews so much because they are from different states, and different states have different laws and attitudes towards gay and lesbian relationships and marriage. This I will emphasize is a great example of American politics, society, and popular genres. I feel it shows popular genres because homosexuality is somewhat considered not "normal" and low. While I disagree, I feel it is crucial that we consider why so many in America feel this way. I strongly believe that the United States relinquished tradition years ago when we decide to be "the land of the free and the home of the brave", that to me means for everyone. I feel this is a major topic that effects our generation and our political and social opinions. I am open for lively debate. Regardless of you opinion, please check out these reviews to understand a little of my logic behind picking this movie and how it relates to American Popular genres. Enjoy all!!!

This is a dialogue between the two at the end of the movie, which happens to be the last time they see each other. It was a truly powerful scene and rapped up the relationship and message really well.


Jack Twist: Tell you what, we coulda had a good life together! Fuckin' real good life! Had us a place of our own. But you didn't want it, Ennis! So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that! That's all we got, boy, fuckin' all. So I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest! You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short fucking leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you... I can't make it on a coupla high-altitude fucks once or twice a year! You are too much for me Ennis, you sonofawhoreson bitch! I wish I knew how to quit you.

Ennis Del Mar: [crying] Well, why don't you? Why don't you just let me be? It's because of you that I'm like this! I ain't got nothing... I ain't nowhere... Get the fuck off me! I can't stand being like this no more, Jack.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0388795/quotes

This link has a page of quotes that truly made the movie!!!

No comments: